(cc) surrealisrael.com Jaffa Minaret

Old Jaffa Minaret

Old port city, one of the oldest in the whole world. In 1950, Jaffa was incorporated to the Tel Aviv municipality and for that reason the official name of the Israeli city is Tel Aviv – Yafo (The name Jaffa is based on the Arabic name of the city. In Hebrew it’s pronounced Yafo).

The name in Hebrew means beautiful. According to the tradition, this name was given to the city because of the sun brightness reflected by its buildings. Natural port of Jerusalem (only 56 kms from the Holy city) at the time of the building of the second temple. At its docks the Lebanese cedar (Cedar of Lebanon – Cedrus libani) was received and transported by land to the construction of King Solomon’s Temple and Palace.

Learn Hebrew Online - Aprenda Hebreo/Hebraico online